Monday, October 20, 2008

The Beginning

Started on Stevie's costume this evening. Let me tell you, there is no paranoia quite like ironing a pattern, much less a rare out-of-print Ebay'd pattern, with "a warm iron." And since my iron has no setting for "warm" among its modern choices of synthetic, silk, wool, cotton and linen ('tissue paper' setting, anyone?) I spent about fifteen minutes testing, turning it up click by painful click.

For the record, "warm" is about halfway between synthetic and silk on a fairly expensive Sunbeam iron. Who knew.

So piece # 1 is a cloak. And it's HUGE. Huge. Nearly as tall as I am huge. Bigger than my dining room table huge. So big that the pattern piece had to be printed in two sections and taped together (and for anyone who knows, a single sheet of pattern tissue is hardly considered small). However it is likely going to be a quick & fun sew, from the looks of it. Pics of the process to follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have asked your MOM. She knows the settings on the iron from years of sewing and ironing patterns!
Love ya, MOM

Miss Kat said...

Oh, don't worry... I am sure I will be calling you to translate the instructions, some of which are written in the language of Gobbledegook. I am unfortunately only partially fluent in Gobbledegook.