Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


The new Potter movie was a delight to behold, but that's probably because I'm completely over the accuracy thing, and now view the movies and the books as two separate entities.

Because Draco doesn't go visit Borgin with his mummy en tow, and Luna isn't supposed to rescue Harry on the train. They made it apparent early on that this film would fall victim of much editing and alterations, moreso, if possible, than the last one. Now, I can deal with events happening slightly out of order or even in the "wrong" scenes (as long as they happen). I can understand that the things that the characters think often need to be spoken, but there's this one scene early on that I call shenanigans over. It's brilliant on screen, real M. Night Shamalan, but it just does not exist in the books so bad that it bothers me. All I have to say is, that particular domestic residence does not burn down, ever, period, complete and utter rubbish. Harry and Ginny in the room of hidden things was a bit ridiculous as well - instead I'd have liked the end of the bathroom duel to have unfolded properly as it should, in Snape's office. And there is no big battle scene at the end, at all. The bad guys walk away unscathed and worse yet, unchallenged. I know the movie people did that on purpose, because the last pair of films is rumored to be action-packed, but still… They just leave so much out I can't list it all, and have twisted the storyline so very, very much. At this point I'm sincerely wondering if they're going to manage to get the actual Hallows into the 'Deathly Hallows' movie…

But don't get me wrong, the fan in me is still well-satisfied. The Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes shop was fantastic (and I was thrilled about the re-appearance of "Fireworks," their fantastic Irish theme song from the last movie. It gets played over the credits, too). Jim Broadbent is way too tall but nonetheless a great fit for crotchety Slughorn (I just saw the Borrowers recently and I really appreciate him as an actor). Evanna Lynch is perfect as usual - what a find that girl was, love the party dress - and Jessie Cave really stood out as Lavender and gave the much needed comic relief that usually comes from Rupert Grint (if not the rose, than next to the rose, I guess!).

Speaking of Rupert, he was undeniably awesome as usual too, particularly when on the love potion. He has such an expressive face, especially when compared to Dan Radcliffe, who, believe it or not, is usually the one whose acting I'm most disappointed in. He's really good at a great many things, but the facial closeups, in which he's supposed to be experiencing all these feelings at once, I find he usually just comes off like he's setting his jaw in anger. I've got to give Radcliffe credit, though: the Felix potion scene was some of the best acting I've seen out of him in six films.

And more than ever before, the Death Eaters just blow me away (and they'd better, for there's a distinct and obvious lack of Voldemort in this flick). Alan Rickman is fine perfection in whatever he participates in (while continuing to get a bit more portly every time I see him) and has remained flawlessly consistent for six films, especially now that his character has come into full bloom in the story. Snape is a lot more complicated than these movies give him credit for, and Rickman really does a phenomenal job of conveying just enough of Snape's concealed emotions and restraint to keep his character the truest to the books out of the entire cast.

I read somewhere Helena Bonham Carter referred to as the "female version of the Joker" and I agree wholeheartedly. She was so good it made me want to abandon my principles and fix myself up as her for Halloween again (but I won't do that a second time unless I can do it properly, meaning 100% cosplay quality. Who knows, it's only July).

The other star of the film was Tom Felton, who acted circles around Radcliffe and totally stole the show, in my opinion. I can't believe how perfect that kid grew up for this role - tall and stringy like a beanpole, and he really does have that narrow, pointed face and a world-class snarl. Love his face in particular at the moment he realizes he's been discovered in the lavatory and when "Aunt Bella" kisses his cheek in the tower at the end.

I really hope Maggie Smith makes it through the end of the filming. I was a fan of hers before the Potter series, and I have to say, her eyes have gone all rheumy and she's looking grayer than I've ever seen her (and I don't mean her hair). It would be a damn shame to lose her, as she's always been a fine actress, her lines in this film were acerbic and hysterical, and I just can't imagine anyone else pulling off that brogue so well. I will miss her when she's gone.

Seems almost like they left more of the excitement out of this movie, though. When the action is there, it's great, but I seem to remember the book being a really fantastic read and more action-packed than this. But this movie is what it is -- even in book form, it had a soft overtone of being a warm-up to the final: lots of character development and revealing plot elements, kids realizing they aren't kids anymore but they aren't grownups either. However, Stephen King wrote my other favorite (coincidentally 7 volume) book series, and Book 4 was nothing but a story of the past told at a campsite. The main characters, who customarily covered hundreds of miles every book, covered about a hundred feet in the thickest book you can imagine. And considering there's 7 books in the Potter series, and what will be 8 movies, sometimes a little character insight is good and necessary.

All in all I can't wait to go back a second time with my kid. She has no idea what happens at the end. Peace out, Fawkes.

No comments: